Verona Baptist Church
Sunday, August 19, 2018
Loving People God's Way!

About Us

 

Who We Are . . .    
     Verona Baptist Church is a body of baptized believers seeking to glorify God as we grow in our relationship with Jesus Christ. 
     Our statement of faith is the Baptist Faith and Message 2000.
     Membership is by letter from another SBC church, by baptism, or by a written or verbal statement of your faith.
 
Why We're Here . . .  
     Our mission is to lead others to maturity as disciples of Christ through prayer, ministry, evangelism, teaching, fellowship, and worship.
 
Where We've Been . . .
      In 1886, the Collin Baptist Association had begun missionary work in the Verona Community in northeast Collin County. In 1887, while serving as county missionary, Bro. L. Dunn organized the church first called the Verona Missionary Baptist Church of Christ with twelve members. It was located just north of the Verona Cemetery on land purchased for five dollars from Mrs. E.M. St.Clair. It was possible that the building was also used for a school. Among the first members were W.J. Caloway, J.S. Stewart, and R.J. Smith, who served as trustees. Other members were Sarah King, Ida King, W.E. Stewart, Issac Samples, Hattie Carmichael, W.C. Langston and W.G. Aven.
     On October 21, 1887, the Collin Baptist Association met at the Rowelett Creek Baptist Church.  Verona presented a petitionary letter to the association and after the reading of the Articles of Faith, the church was accepted. The church adopted the official name, Verona Baptist Church, as it is known today.
         In 1912, a storm destroyed the church building. In 1914, the members voted to move and build at the present location on Farm Road 1377 between Blue Ridge and Princeton. That building was torn down in 1960 and the present building was erected in 1961 while Bro. J.C. Hanna was pastor. The parsonage was built in 1966 and the educational annex was added in 1974. The property on which the original building sat was given to the Verona Cemetery by a vote of the members.